How many times have you seen a great looking car with shabby interiors? You will come across a lot of people who are ready to spend a lot of money on the exterior appearance of their vehicles but are very ignorant about the interior detailing.
Ask a true car enthusiast, and he/she will tell you the importance of the cleanliness of your car interior. Your car cabin is nothing less than your second home. Therefore, it needs the same kind of attention.
The process of interior detailing includes:
1. Cleaning of Seats
The cover of the car’s seats complements the overall appearance of your vehicle. The cleaning depends on the type of seat covers you have – leather, vinyl, or cloth upholstery.
- Leather Seat Covers: Give a luxurious look to your car interior. However, cleaning them can get very challenging. Especially, light-coloured leather seat covers may start looking dull as time goes by because of the grime and dirt that gets embedded on its surface. Leave it to your auto-detailer, who will clean the seat covers using an appropriate leather-cleaning product.
- Vinyl Seat Covers: There are lot easier to clean as compared to leather seat covers. A regular cleaning product may also be sufficient to clean vinyl seat covers. But a detailing expert exactly knows what cleaning product is compatible with your car’s vinyl seat covers.
- Cloth Seat Covers: Need two kinds of attention. Firstly, you need to see if there are indeed any tough stains that need to be removed. And secondly, you need to take care of any possible foul odour. The detailer would know precisely what products to be used for cleaning and what needs to be used to take care of the bad smell.
2. Cleaning of Front Panel
If there is one portion of your car interior that you intentionally or unintentionally see the most is the front panel. For most for us, the cleaning of the front panel means just wiping off the dust from the top using an ordinary cloth. A detailer, however, will tell you that proper cleaning of the front panel includes giving individual attention to the Dashboard, Console, and Air Vents.
- Dashboard: Depending on the make of your car, the dashboard can be leather, vinyl, or another material. The design of the car interiors can make cleaning of the dashboard difficult. Vacuum cleaning the dashboard before applying any cleaning product works best for the overall cleaning of the dashboard. Continuous exposure to sunlight can result in a faded look of the dashboard. To protect this, a professional auto-detailer would apply an interior dressing.
- Console: The Console comprises of all the buttons and controls inside your car. Cleaning every corner or gaps between these buttons can be a very tedious task. Leave it to your detailer who knows how to make use of a screwdriver or a knife wrapped with a cloth to clean various portions of the console.
- Air Vents: Vents are not that difficult to clean. You can do it yourself by using a long bristle brush, and a compressed air can.
3. Cleaning of Door Panels
Door panels in most of the cars as made up of the same material as the dashboard, or seats, or other parts of the interior. The cleaning methods used in these parts can be replicated for the door panels. Cup holders and other open compartments on the door panels are prone to a lot of dust accumulation. You can clean it every time you are taking your car out.
4. Cleaning of Carpets and Floor Mats
Often considered as a DIY task, carpets and floor mats cleaning is one of the most important tasks included in interior detailing. This is because maximum dirt gets accumulated on them.
To clean the floor mats, remove and shake them vigorously. Most of the dust from your footwear get stuck on to the mats. Use of a stiff cleaning brush may be required if the dust stays on even after the shaking. Once you have made sure that the mats are free of all the dirt, give them a pressure wash, preferably through a water hose. You may also use washing detergents to deep clean the mats. Allow the mats to dry completely before you place them again on your vehicle’s floor.
For the carpets, vacuum cleaning is ideal. The vacuum cleaner kit includes various sizes and shapes of nozzles. These nozzles come in handy while cleaning difficult corners around the seats. For tuff stains on the carpets, your auto-detailer knows what type of cleaner to be used. They make sure that such stains get removed without letting the carpets to get wet.
5. Cleaning of Mirrors and Windows
Most of us think using water and regular cleaning cloth is enough to clean the windows and mirrors. However, the detailing experts know that glass surfaces are best cleaned using a glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth.
Detailers also ensure extra care when cleaning tinted windows. They do this without damaging the film applied on the inside of the window. Cleaning of windows also means, wiping off the grime on the top of the windows. This is visible when you roll down the windows.
6. Eliminating Foul Smell
Interior detailing also includes how well you are keeping your car free from bad odour. The bad odour can be a result of cigarette smoking and pets. Hanging a car deodorizer or installing a car perfume inside the car can ensure pleasant-smelling interiors until they last.
If you still experience bad odour, take your car to a detailer who will try to find out the real source of the odour. If the odour is because of any dampness in the upholstery or carpet, the detailer will use an odour removal product to neutralize the unpleasant smell. Such products work best on the toughest, most unpleasant scents.
A professional auto-detailer will always possess the following tools/items required for interior detailing:
- Vacuum Cleaner
- Various cleaning products
- Brushes and Applicators
- Various wiping and polishing materials
Read more: Car Detailing | Everything You Need To Know
Interior detailing done every six months can do wonders for your car. You can maintain your car’s newer look by keeping the interiors in good shape, just as explained above. No matter how detailed you keep the car exteriors, it is the inside of the car where you spend most of your time. It would not be wrong to say that the way you keep the car interior, reflect your attitude towards self-hygiene and how much you care for the hygiene of your loved ones.
If you are looking for more such useful vehicle tips or professional detailing services, do get in touch with us.